Pages

Monday 18 April 2011

PH: Carpool; Noble M12

A Noble M12 is one route to track-day bliss. However it might not be that straight-forward, as Martin Bond (aka mgbond) explains:
"Well, where do I start? Once I learned to drive I always wanted nice cars but was not what you'd call a petrol head. After I went through a few sporty-ish cars I was in a position to buy something a bit better and my friends convinced me to get a Lotus Elise. I bought one, joined forums, went on meets and was hooked. "Three years later I was ready for an upgrade and was toying between a Lotus Exige S2 or a T350c TVR, when a work colleague suggested that I get a Noble. I wasn't quite sure so I went to a dealer (as there happened to be one nearby), sat in it and thought 'yeah not bad'. I went on the forum to research what to look out for and then completely ignored all the advice, thinking instead that I'd sort the issues out over time. I wish I hadn't done that... "Three months in I blew the diff' and not long after it needed a new ECU. These issues among others cost a pretty packet but I had to deal with them because by then I was in love. It just proves that you need to buy with your head. I got an early car and these have issues that need to be sorted (most have been done by now). The later cars were much better. "My car is now sorted but after pushing the limits a bit far last year I had to rebuild the engine. It's now back on the road (currently being run in) with everything new and upgraded to make the next five years as rewarding as the last five. "Mine is the 2.5 V6 version which should be delivering 310bhp, although it was only running at 280bhp. Often they never made the power without a remap. When mine gets mapped in the next couple of weeks it should produce over 400bhp and with just over a ton to pull it should keep the grin etched on my face. The rush as the turbos spool-up is very addictive. "A few years ago the work colleague who had suggested that I buy one came with me on a track day at Brands and his girly screams as we flew round paddock hill bend will stay with me forever. He's currently looking to purchase one! "There are a few of us down South and we meet up quite a bit. May sees 27 of us at Silverstone with the Factory bringing two M600's. Can't wait for that. "If anyone is looking for a Noble, drop me a line as I can help with advice having been a frequent user of the PH Noble forum for a long time. Owning a Noble has got so much better over the last couple of years. "Some top blokes (who are frankly mad) have come along and they just won't stop developing new things for the cars and I'm starting to lose count of how many are now over 500BHP - some will be delivering over 600 soon. I drove one of these bad boys last year and I have never felt anything quite like it. Bring on the next five years."

No comments:

Post a Comment